Super Nintendo programming, some anomalies experienced trying to get a fullscreen graphic to display. 

(nerd speak ahead)

I started with a 4bpp graphic (4 bits per pixel or 16 color graphic) with 8x8 pixel tiles, the problem there was, besides constructing the actual graphic, understanding how to set the address for the tilemap and actual ties so they don’t overlap each other.

When shifting to 8bpp graphics (256 colors, this isn’t an especially good graphic to do that with), the problem was that I had to split the graphic across multiple banks. I didn’t know that in WLA (the assembler I am using) you can read only part of an included binary file. Would have been helpful. I tried to do a hirom (larger sized banks for data), but couldn’t get it to work. 

Super Nintendo programming. Here is a comparison of a 4bpp (16 color, left) and 8bpp (256 color, right) background graphic. This is a bad graphic to test it with (I intended to scale down to 8 or 16 colors after making it) since it is all blue, but you can see a lot more of the subtle transparency effects on the brush I had in the latter one, which gets dithered in the 4bpp version. For what its worth, I actually prefer the 4bpp version, I think the patterned dither (how I set Photoshop to reduce the colors) actually creates a nice, almost charcoal-like effect.